What is a Canadian Work Visa or Permit?
A Canadian Work Visa or Permit is a legal authorization granted to professionals who are skilled foreign workers to work in Canada with a specific employer, industry and domain. The skill or occupation of the candidate applying for Canadian Work Permit must be listed in the National Occupation Classification (NOC). Although this work permit is valid for two years, it can be extended depending on the criteria met for skilled foreign applicants.
When you want to know how to apply for Canada, you must know the types of work permit that the country offers. There are essentially two types of work permits.
- Open Work Permit
This work permit is given to those skilled foreign workers whose spouses are already in Canada either on a work or study permit. This enables them to work with any organization and any industry in Canada and helps them support themselves.
- Closed Work Permit
This type of work permit is granted to skilled foreign workers who have received an endorsement by specific and designated Canadian employers. These employers must in advance secure an LMIA (Labor Market Impact Assessment) which confirms that no Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada is eligible for this job opening in Canada. Many Canadian companies in the field of hospitality, manufacturing, production, and health face shortage of staff as Canada has an aging population. Hence, they seek to employ foreign skilled workers who are ready to immigrate to Canada and help in contributing to the economy of the country.
Application to Immigrate to Canada from Dubai
If you are eligible to immigrate to Canada from Dubai, you must follow the below processes for Canadian Work Permit after the Canadian employer has secured a positive LMIA for you.
- As a foreign skilled worker, you will need to apply for immigration to Canada via the Citizenship and Immigration Canada. You can of course ask a Canada Immigration Agency in Dubai to help you with this.
- You must attach a copy of the LMIA along with your application for the work permit.
- The designated employer in Canada must arrange for the worker’s compensation benefits, medical coverage as well as Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- The candidate however must also fulfill all the necessary criteria for the work permit and own enough funds to sustain his or her life in Canada.
This processing can be a long process ranging from 6 – 9 months to say the least. It can vary as per the case and the profile of the candidate. However, if you are interested in getting a faster visa you can apply for an Express Entry Visa.
This is a new program introduced by the Canadian Government, to facilitate quick immigration for specific provinces. The processing in this case is between 4-6 months which is probably the fastest way to get to Canada. However, to get through the Express Entry, it is essential to have a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score which should be around 1200 points. But even if this score is 450 points, it is still possible to immigrate to Canada from UAE. Following are the key points that decide if you qualify for the Express Entry or not:
- Age Criteria: To gain the highest CRS points, the best age is between 25-35 years.
- Education: The higher is your education level, the higher are your chances of getting through the Express Entry immigration process.
- Professional Work Experience: Although educational levels are important, it is equally important for the Canadian Government that you are having the experience of work as they seek skilled workers. If you have any special benefit of the experience of jobs that are mentioned in NOC (National Occupational Classification)
- Languages: Canada is bilingual as a country and uses French as well as English in all their regular communications including official documentation. If you want to show them that you are serious about immigration to Canada, try to learn these two languages well.
- Adaptability: They also want to know if you are easy to adapt into their country. So, if you have a family or a spouse, are you willing to immigrate with them into Canada or not will also determine your score of ranking for this process.
Of course, as for any immigration process, immigration to Canada from Dubai has its own requirement of documentation which includes your identification, degrees, qualifications, and certificates. You must also have your medical as well as police clearance certificates. You may need to provide more explanation for the last two documents.
- Medical Certificate: It is important that you have a medical certificate for you to immigrate to Canada. Of course, you must prove that you are healthy and fit so that you can live as well as work in Canada. You must also check that you get yourself certified by the doctors to conduct Canadian immigration medical exams, that are certified by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada). So, this is the best way to get your medical certificates.
- Police Certificate: It is very important that you get your police clearance certificate prior to leaving U.A.E. It can however be a frustrating and lengthy process so ensure that you get it in the easiest way.
Many are not aware that a good conduct certificate or a police clearance certificate is not only needed during immigration but also for buying a house or starting a job in Canada. So, do make sure you have this certificate with you handy.
You can apply for this certificate in UAE in two ways. First by applying online via the official Dubai Police website or the Dubai Police app. Both are easy to use. You have to only find the tab that says, “Good Conduct Certificate”, fill in your personal information, For E.g. email address, the reason for the document and attach your Emirate ID, 2 passport sized photographs along with a copy of your passport.
If you are an expat, you will have to pay Dh210 else if you are a United Arab Emirates citizen you will have to pay only Dh110.
For some reason, if you haven’t got it before immigration to Canada, you can still get it by getting your fingerprints from the local police station and get it attested by the UAE embassy. After that, you can simply send it with the other documents to the General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police.
To immigrate to Canada via PNP (Provincial Nominee Program), you must be nominated by a Canadian province or territory. For this, you must apply for the PNP in the territory or province where you wish to settle.
Applying for a Canada Work Permit Visa from Dubai is a complicated process if you try to do it on your own.
However it can be a piece of cake when you have a dedicated team of experts by your side guiding you in every step of the way and doing it for you.
Contact us today and see how we can help you immigrate to canada to secure your better future.