The Portugal Golden Visa program has proven to be the most popular scheme in Europe with investors attracted to its flexibility and benefits. The visa is also known as the ‘Resident Permit for Investment’.
Launched in 2012 the investor visa program has been actively promoted internationally by the Portuguese government. The golden visa in Portugal is designed to encourage investment from non-EU/EFTA nationals.
The Portuguese golden visa offers a fast-track to obtaining a residency permit in Portugal, alongside other benefits, for non-EU investors who invest a minimum amount as defined by law.
Any non-EU/EFTA nationals can apply for a golden visa in Portugal, or Portuguese investor visa, provided they make at least one of the investments below, either as an individual business person or via a business set up in Portugal or another EU member state.
You must fit at least one of the following categories to claim Portuguese residency by investment:
- Capital transfer of at least EUR 1 million into Portugal
- The creation of at least 10 job positions in Portugal
- The purchase of real estate property in Portugal worth at least EUR 500,000
- The purchase of real estate property in Portuguese urban regeneration areas at least 30 years old to the value of at least EUR 350,000
- Investment of at least EUR 350,000 in scientific research in Portugal
- Investment of at least EUR 250,000 in Portuguese arts, culture and heritage
- Investment of at least EUR 500,000 in small and medium businesses in Portugal
Holders of a Portuguese golden visa are given a temporary residence permit in Portugal for one year, which is renewable for two-year periods. After five years, holders of Portuguese golden visa can apply for a permanent residence permit in Portugal, while after six years they can apply for Portuguese citizenship by investment if all other legal requirements are met.
Investors buying into the real estate market in Portugal for the Golden Visa now have excellent prospects for capital gain in the coming years. Advice is recommended for serious buyers as there are clear distinctions between typical vacation homes on the coast in Portugal and city properties such as Lisbon.
In particular with regard to market demand for property types and on-going rental or lifestyle options for the investor.
It is possible to obtain the golden visa through a reduced investment of €350,000 into real estate requiring renovation.
Such projects need to be approved by SEF as qualifying for the reduced investment amount and it is critical to ensure the right project and legal advice is obtained before embarking on such investment.
Please fill the assessment form, in order to get detailed professional information on the services offered by 10-PRO.